Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The place I've come to love

The mountainous city of Addis Ababa stretches out before me. I sit in a gray airport chair, looking out the window and pondering the things that are now stored up in my heart. So often, even when I'm around people, I find myself simply staring out the window and thinking about all the things I have seen here. Although much of it has been hard, I pray I never forget the things I have experienced because it has changed me and I don't want my life to be spent pursuing selfish gain when there are so many people who need help, hope and love.

I think about Sunday afternoon following an amazing church service we attended- we had gone to the market to go shopping. From the moment we stepped out of our vans we were surrounded by street vendors trying to sell their goods, children trying to sell wooden toothbrushes and people asking for food. We had been told that the only way that they would leave us alone was to say no and walk away. As I crawled back into the van after looking in some of the booths, I couldn't even look at the children knocking on the windows because it hurt too much to see. As I sat there I felt so convicted...is this how Jesus would treat these hurting children? By saying no and walking past them? Somehow I don't think so. I honestly don't know the proper way to respond to the hordes of beggars, but the way I was treating them just didn't seem right. I next day I felt like God was laying one of these children on my heart so I took time to pray for that child and pray that I would know how to treat these people the way Jesus wants me to. Later that afternoon I had a small girl come up to me, putting her hands up to her mouth in a gesture of hunger. I didn't have my bag with me (which I feel made this a lot easier), so I said, “I'm sorry, I don't have anything to give you.” I crouched down and looked into her eyes and continued, “but I do have Jesus. Do you know Jesus?” I can't even explain how my heart cried when she looked at me and said no. Or how helpless I felt because I don't speak any Amharic and have no way to really communicate with her. I simply took her dirty little hand in my own and said, “Jesus loves you.” I may have said other things but I don't really remember any more. I don't know if I will every forget the smile that lit up her hungry little face as I looked back, waved and blew a kiss at her as we pulled away. The picture of this precious little girl standing on the dirty street among other beggars and vendors still makes me cry every time I think about her (which is quite a lot). I just pray that somehow that encounter will help her to know that she is loved. She is one of the reasons I want to come back someday...because she is just one of millions of children here that need to know that they are loved.

That same day we also went to help out at a feeding program. They marched us in and put us right to work. For awhile I folded and stacked ingera- a traditional Ethiopian spongy “bread” that is made out of sour milk and is used for scooping up food. I think it's pretty gross but they seem to like it. After that I went to the window and handed plates with ingera on it to the line of people coming through. Once they get their ingera someone gives them a scoop of sauce and beans and they sit to eat. Between the smell of the food and the odors it was hard to decide if it smelled good or just plain nasty in there. After seeing the spilled food and slop the latter was more accurate. Each day they feed 1,000 people, ranging from children to the elderly, in shifts of 100. Blind, crippled, sick and diseased people all came through the line for food. I tried to smile at them but most of them wouldn't look at you. When they finish eating they come, hand you their bowl and leave so the next group can get their food. If they hadn't finished all their food we dumped it into a bucket on the counter. At first I thought it was going to be thrown away or maybe fed to some animals....but I soon discovered I was wrong. People would come up with plastic bags held out for the slop to be scooped into so they would have something to eat later. I think this was one of the hardest things for me to see there; these people taking scraps of mushy leftover food that in the States we probably wouldn't even feed to our pet. It makes you think twice about saying, “I'm starving” or complaining about our food.

Our last full day in Ethiopia we went to an orphanage. When we first got there one little boy raced up to me and when I held out my arms he jumped into them, wrapped his little legs tightly around my waist, his arms around my neck and nuzzled his face against mine. I carried him around and he showed me things around the yard while still holding tightly to me. Eventually I put him down and sat down to talk to two girls who spoke very good English. One of them told me a little bit of her story and I found myself falling in love with her. When they had to go in for lunch I went upstairs to the baby room. There were many special needs kids. One girl had hydrocephalus and was blind. She is 9 but because she can't sit or really move she just lays in a crib in a room crowded with babies. At one point she began to cry. It was absolutely heartbreaking. We held held her hands and rubbed her head trying to calm her down but I can't even begin to imagine a life like that. Another little girl was missing both legs and one arm. Some of the them were incredibly tiny. There was one little tiny girl who was only 2 weeks old who had been found abandoned and brought to the orphanage. So many sad stories...but even more sad to think of the ones who don't make it to an orphanage. For a long time I held one little guy with huge eyes. It was supposed to be nap time but he was more interested in looking around, pulling my hair and playing. At one point I went to put him in his crib but as soon as I set him down he began to cry. I couldn't stand it so I picked him back up and held him until we had to leave. Even though it was hard to hear their stories, I'm glad these children are being taken care of. I couldn't think of a better way I would have liked to spend my last day in Africa, this place I have come to love, than playing with beautiful children, hearing their stories and holding babies. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment