Sunday, June 17, 2012

The School Holiday


Wow, it is hard to believe that I have already been here over a month. In some ways the time has flown by, yet at the same time so much has happened it almost feels as if I have been here forever! This week one of the special holiday activities we did for the younger kids was giving them a 200 shilling coin (about/less than 10 cents) and taking them to Kavumba- maybe a 20 minute walk with the children- to buy a sweetie. On the first day I took a group of really little boys (4 and 6 year olds). Gideon, who is a veeeery slow walker, wasn't sure at first about making the short trek but the prospect of getting a candy was motivating so off we went. Little Peter said, “I am going to take teacher and quarta (hold) her hand.” And he did just that without letting go the whole time except to buy and eat his sweetie, so cute! When we got there one of the boys went up to the stand and said, “I would like soda.” I tried explaining that you couldn't get soda with a coin and he was very perturbed because he wanted to try soda! He had to settle for a “bisquit” instead. Later when asked what he got he just said, “a coin.” And if you asked what he got with the coin he would say “nothing” at first and finally consent that he had “one bisquit” (even though it was actually 4 in 1 package!). When we were almost back to the Rafiki village Gideon ran up, grabbed my free hand and said, “I made it! Now I'm going to go 9 more times!” 
M. Martha, Benon, Jereome, Gideon, Timothy, Joshua, Peter, Isaac & Simon
 <--This was taken a couple weeks ago after the May birthday party but these are the first boys I took to Kavumba when their Maama was on holiday.
--> Really not a great picture but this is Isaac (back), Joshua (middle) and Peter (right). 

 The next day I took a group of girls to Kavumba. They all put on matching caps that had been given to them by a sponsor and when we got back it turned into a game of “who is under the hat?” You could barely see their little faces under their hats so I would feel the top of their head and of course ask if it was 2 or 3 of the other girls until I “guessed” the right one. They thought this was hilarious and soon they were crowded around laughing and shrieking, “guess me next!” They would look up, say “guess me!” then pull their hat over their face for me to try and “guess” who it was. These kids seriously crack me up all the time! The other morning I was reading to some of the 4 year olds and I kept coming across books that had seagulls in them. Every time I said “seagull” Joshua would pipe up and say, “No-o. Teacher it is not seagull.” Then he'd shake his little head and continue in all seriousness, “it is eagle!” No matter how many times I tried to explain that they are two different birds he would still shake his head every time I read seagull and inform me that I was saying it wrong! So funny!
<3 These are some of my precious "hat" girls. <3
Last night I was “playing” volleyball with a few of the younger girls here. I showed Mercy how to pass and serve (for being 4 years old she was surprisingly good!). I would throw the ball, she would swing with all she was worth then just burst into a fit of shrieks and laughter. Every time she hit the ball she would jump up and down, grab my hands, hug me and scream. The ball didn't go over the net much with these small girls but it was much better than playing a real game! At one point I look over and Mercy has a little rubber ball that she is trying to practice serving with. She would hold it with one hand, get ready, then swing so hard that her little feet would shoot out from under her and she would fall over sideways! It was hilarious to watch.

Playing Volleyball

We also had a “pajama party” for some of the girls in the volleyball picture. I'm still tired from it! Haha It was so much fun though to see the girls dance, sing, laugh, eat and play charades. I am continually blessed by these people and their joyful attitudes. Some of the people here have been teaching me how to speak some Luganda. When I greeted my friend the other day in Luganda she gave me one of the hugest hugs I've ever received because she was so touched that I was learning their language. This is what kind of attitude they have- they are so grateful for a small thing like someone “trying” to learn their language. The longer I'm here the more I see that it's not about “fixing” or even really “helping” people as much as coming along side them, learning from and with them, experiencing life with them and loving them. I am so thankful for the amazing experience of being in this place with these wonderful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment