Thursday, June 28, 2012

Visiting Orphans Part 1- Jinja


As I write this I am sitting on another airplane, leaving beautiful Uganda and heading for the unknown of Ethiopia. It was strange being at the Entebbe airport and thinking back on that day so many weeks ago when I first arrived. Everything felt so new and strange and I felt SO foreign then! But now it feels “comfortable” and familiar to me (I can even speak and understand some of the Luganda language!).

As I sit here and try to write about this past week words escape me...I don't know if I can even begin to describe the things I have seen and experienced but I will try. I tearfully left Rafiki and traveled to Jinja with Carolyn and 3 Rafiki children. Upon arriving we talked to multiple people and traveled numerous roads in a torrential downpour trying to find Canaan Children's Home. Finally we found it and I was left to talk to Papa Isaac and play with some of the children while I waited for the VO team to arrive. I played with two little guys who ran around chanting “that's ok, that's ok” and laughing and laughing after they heard me say it when they were too scared to go down a slide (I don't think they understood what it meant because they didn't speak much English)! When the team arrived one of them clung tightly to my neck and wouldn't let go as 30 mzungus poured off the bus. After being essentially by myself for so many weeks it was wonderful to be with a group of people. It is a great group of people that I am very blessed to serve with. We spent a couple days at Canaan ministering to the children there. These children are so different from the Rafiki children in their clean uniforms and orderly cottages. They are dirty and live crowded into bunkhouses with many other children. They bathe outside in the open then put on dirty clothes that smell of urine but they are so precious. They are starved for attention, which we gladly gave. At times my arms were shaking from lugging around children but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Every single day we were there I had a child curl up in my lap and fall asleep in my arms. One night I went and tucked a sleeping child into her bunk and it broke my heart to put her down, not sure when (if ever) another person would hold her until she went to sleep and tuck her in. It was hard leaving the children there but that is when you just have to trust that God was there before we got there, he cares about these children, has a plan for them and will continue His work after we leave.

On one of our days in Jinja some of us spent a couple hours at Sangolo Babies- a home with 15 babies run by a couple who care for these children and literally trust God every single day to provide for their day to day needs. When we stepped off the bus D met us with a baby in her arms asking, “who wants a baby?!” Everyone's arms went out and we went inside where she pretty much passed out babies until we each had one. The baby I had was named Grace. She was 18 months but literally looked maybe 6 or 7 because of malnutrition before she came to the home. Another baby had HIV and it was heartbreaking to see him lying sick in his bed. We held them until they fell asleep then put them down for their naps and talked to the couple. They are living in a tiny house with no running water and a leaky roof. When it rains there is one corner of the house where they all crowd to escape from the water, but despite their circumstances they have so much joy and trust in God. We brought them formula and diapers and when we gave it to them she started to cry because the day before it had rained so most of their cloth diapers had gotten wet and were still drying. Then she pointed to a small table where a tiny can of formula sat and said that was their last can of formula they had left. I realized there are so many things I take for granted (food, water, a toilet, a good roof over my head, etc) that other people work hard for and trust God for every single day. They are trying to move to another house that is bigger and has running water because the government doesn't approve of their current house. They also want a place where the babies can be outside because where they are now isn't fenced and children being taken for child sacrifices is common. The new house would cost about $250 a month which seems like nothing to many of us, but to them is far above what they make. 

I am still thinking on all of these things. I feel as if my body and mind have been completely overloaded and is in overdrive trying to process everything and figure out what I can do to help. I am going to post this while I have internet and try to post about our experiences in Kampala next.

No comments:

Post a Comment